There are a number of technology solutions designed to help companies accelerate improvement initiatives and support business process improvement disciplines such as Lean and Six Sigma. It isn’t surprising that software buyers can become confused or overwhelmed by all of the choices.
When it comes to project portfolio management (PPM) and continuous improvement software, we find that often buyers are unsure about whether - and how - they differ. It’s common for people to wonder if they must choose one or the other - or if both can work together.
Let’s have a closer look.
What is Project Portfolio Management Software?
PPM software is designed to support the process of selecting large-scale projects and managing the organization’s entire portfolio of projects as a whole. It is used to help project managers analyze and manage large-scale projects.
It also provides visibility that enables leaders to evaluate and prioritize projects and control related investments. Decisions to add or subtract projects from the portfolio are based on the value of the entire field of projects. The goal is to arrive at the best mix and order of projects to meet the company’s financial and operational goals.
Project portfolio management software often emphasizes the process of selecting which projects to undertake and how to fund them, rather than on how to actually run the projects. Notably, it’s used by people who are project management experts, rather than by the average employee.
It is not intended to be a platform used by every employee in an organization.
PPM software provides the information that experts need to analyze and manage the details of every project in the organization. Because it's targeted to experts, people need lots of training to get started, and develop proficiency only after long term use.
- Resource Management
- Change Control
- Financial Management
- Risk Management
How is KaiNexus Different?
You know that continuous improvement is a journey. When trying to decide whether you need PPM or continuous improvement software, you need to first think about where you’re trying to go on that journey.
To engage the entire organization in improvement, you need a platform that makes it simple to participate in improvement work without advanced training or technical know-how. If you need a platform that provides the structure, metrics, and reporting your project managers rely on to make decisions AND empowers staff to participate in improvement, you need KaiNexus.
On the other hand, if your goal is to have a small team of project managers using a robust platform to improve, you’re looking for PPM. PPM isn't going to work for you if you’re trying to spread your improvement culture to as many people as possible; it’s simply not built for the average employee to use.
KaiNexus supports a Lean culture by empowering all employees to manage and participate in improvement. Our platform allows organizations to manage strategy deployment, daily continuous improvements such as A3s, huddle boards, and suggestion systems, and large-scale, top-down improvement efforts (i.e. Kaizen events, VSM events, Lean projects, etc) in one place.
KaiNexus promotes the leadership behaviors and organizational methodology that support a culture of continuous improvement. It captures the details related to day-to-day improvement work and simplifies the collaboration of diverse teams. The software provides the visibility needed to understand the work and impact of all improvements, and creates an organizational standard for all improvement work. Continuous improvement software is accessible to all employees, and no one needs to be an expert to use it. You might think of it as "boots on the ground" in the battle for improvement and innovation.
80% of your improvement potential is in the front lines, with the other 20% coming from top-down improvement efforts such as strategic projects and events. You cannot reach the full potential in your organization by including only project managers in improvement work; you MUST include the front lines in your projects. KaiNexus makes it possible to manage your projects while engaging all staff and aligning all improvement with your strategic goals.
We'll be writing more on this topic in the weeks to come, so be sure to subscribe to the blog so you don't miss a thing!